Pageviews last month

Friday, July 24, 2026

Friday Favorites

 
Well the week is drawing to a close, so rather than talking about writing, I'd like to share a few favorite finds with you today.  


1. Vintage recipes.  I tumbled head first down a  rabbit hole not long ago, in search of a vintage Betty Crocker Old Fashioned Lemonade cake recipe.  Still haven't found "the one", I am not looking for a cake mix recipe, this is a recipe from the 50s or 60s that pre-dates boxed mixes.  I'll share when I find it, but this search, and the amazing recipes I've turned up along the way, has reminded me all over again how much I love cooking from scratch--the joy of creating something from what you have on hand, rather than opening a box.  You simply cannot beat the peace of mind that comes from knowing exactly what's in the food you prepared. 


2. Shauna Kay's Book Club on YouTube.  In my downtime, I love juicy biographies, and I have a real soft spot for stories about the royal family.  Especially vintage biographies about the royal family, which are often out of print.  I guess I am a spoiler alert person, but it's kind of fun to read them from a modern day perspective knowing how things already worked out (who would have ever guessed Camilla would be wearing the crown and our beloved Diana would be gone-- and don't get me started on Harry!)  But finding the time to read them all let alone sifting through the thousands of books to choose from is a bit overwhelming.  Both Shauna Kay's Book Club and her Vintage Read Show YouTube channels are great to listen to if you love those books as much as I do.  Her book choices are always spot on and her commentary and perspective are entertaining and thought provoking.  If I have a lot of work to do, a long drive ahead or just need some distraction, I love to browse through her playlists and choose something to listen to. She never disappoints.  (Her Substack is great, too!)  


3. Redecorating my blog.  After years of neglect, my blog needed a good spring cleaning.  So it was out with the old, outdated background and in with one that feels fresh, new and more like me. Some custom images to use for new posts make it feel even cozier. Wish redecorating my house was this quick and easy!!


That's it for this week! 


Wishing you a weekend filled with good books, good coffee... and maybe a cookie or two.


No comments:

Friday Favorites

  Well the week is drawing to a close, so rather than talking about writing, I'd like to share a few favorite finds with you today.   1....