Pageviews last month

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"Shy Tea"


Since it stays cold so long here in Upstate, NY I tend to gravitate toward warm beverages most of the year. The morning coffee is a must-have, of course, that goes without saying.

But in the afternoons I love nothing more than a cup of hot tea. Chai spice has always been a favorite, but the stuff I buy at the grocery store never seems to have that "coffee shop" taste I enjoy so much. And let's face it, I can't afford coffee shop prices more often than once a month or so.

But recently I stumbled across a recipe for a home made version of Chai spice that almost makes me think I don't mind if winter holds on for another week or two *G*. My youngest son has dubbed it "shy tea" and it's pretty close to the coffee house version.

Since tomorrow is the first day of spring (and snow is in the forecast!), and today we have grey, cloudy skies, pouring rain and cold temperatures, I thought I'd share the recipe here.

1 can sweetened condensed milk, regular or fat free
1/4 tsp. each ground cloves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and allspice

Mix together in a 2 cup container with a lid. Brew a cup of very strong hot black tea and sweeten with a bit of the chai spice mixture. Mixture can be refrigerated for up to one week.

3 comments:

Paty Jager said...

It must be the sweetened condensed milk, but for me a little chai tea goes a long way because it is so sweet.

You know me, green tea and a dab of honey and I'm a happy camper! We had snow this morning as well. Complete shock to me. I really thought with the daffodils budding that we'd seen the last of the white stuff.

Stay warm and enjoy your "shy tea".

Susan Macatee said...

I like my tea black with just a little bit of sugar. Of course, I make it very weak so I don't get that caffeine buzz.

But my favorite beverage during cold weather is hot chocolate. Too bad it adds on the calories.

Nicole McCaffrey said...

Yeah--and there's nothing worse than diet hot cocoa, LOL. Yuck!

I did buy the fat free sweetened condensed milk for the Chai tea this week. With all the temptation around from the chocolate bunnies and peeps, I figured the less sugar the better, LOL.

The Struggle is Real Week 8: When Life Hits Back

  It’s been nearly two weeks since my last post. Did anyone notice I was missing?   But I have good news/bad news.   The good news. I wr...