Pageviews last month

Saturday, April 28, 2007

The kindness of strangers

Has the kindness of a stranger ever taken you by complete surprise? Whether it's someone holding a door open for you, handing you a dollar when you came up short for a cup of coffee -- anything.

My life was touched like that today. A good friend, whom I'd be lost without, helped me put this blog together on a whim. I'm not the most technically savvy cookie in the box, and have a hard time juggling things I "want" to do with things I actually "have time" to do. I was really touched by her willingness to help, but not surprised, because that's the kind of person she is. And when she asked a friend of hers to help with some of the design and her friend agreed -- well, that was the kindness that took me by surprise and left me blinking back tears. Her friend doesn't know me from a hill of beans. Yet because she's a friend of my friend, she was happy to share her expertise and help me out. Wow. What a great feeling.

That's exactly the kind of thing I've noticed in the writing community -- pretty much from day one, and I've been a member of RWA since the late 80s (Yes, I'm an old dinosaur -- and proud of it!). I don't' know what it is about writers, but we're always happy to help out a sister writer. Or as RWA used to say it, we actively train the competition. And we do!

Anyway, I decided that would be the topic for my first blog. Kindness.

Thanks, Darah. Thanks Lora. I'm forever in your debt. And I'll be sure to repay your kindnesses to a fellow writer as soon as fate presents the opportunity.

2 comments:

Darah Lace said...

You're very welcome, Nicole. It looks lovely, btw.

Lora Darling said...

It was my absolute pleasure, Nicole. I'm glad you are pleased with the results and never hesitate to ask if you need something *hugs*

The Struggle is Real Week 8: When Life Hits Back

  It’s been nearly two weeks since my last post. Did anyone notice I was missing?   But I have good news/bad news.   The good news. I wr...